Wednesday 9 September 2015

V2.0 - Coloured Chaos Glasses with Pebeo Vitrea Paint

Chaos Glasses 2.0!

By Natalie Wyatt 
Made with "Pebeo Vitrea 160 Glass Paint".

 

Hi all!
 For my very first post here at Crafty Crusaders, I delivered a tutorial on how to create these colourful glasses using the Pebeo Vitrea 160 paints. 
Well, the thought came back to me when we were having a bake-stall at my University to raise money for our graduate show, so instead of baking cookies and cupcakes, I baked glasses!
I based them off my original design (pictured below), but this time I tried them out with some new colour combinations!


It was a great success and I sold them all! I filled them lollies, chocolates and a bouncy ball for fun!

There's two types of Pebeo Vitrea paints: Glossy and Frosted.
Glossy: is transparent, so they work like a stained glass effect.
Frosted: is transparent/opaque, so you can see through it partially.

These paints are not to be confused with Pebeo Vitrail paints, which are used for decorative purposes. Instead, the Vitrea range are intended to be used on materials which may be used for human consumption.

 

But before I show them to you, I'll do a refresher on how to make them:

If you saw my original tutorial, you can skip ahead to the next part where I show you my new designs.

 

____________________________
 
 What you will need:

  • Pebeo Vitrea 160 Glass Paints (Glossy or Frosted depending on the look you want to achieve)
  • Wales Old Fashion Glasses (Or any other preference)*
  • 1 x Small Paintbrush (I used Princeton Art & Brush Co. Golden Taklon Synthetic Hair #4 Round)
  • 1 x Spatula (I used Catalyst by Princeton)
  • A cup filled with water (To rinse your brush)
  • Scrap paper to cover work-bench.
  • Tissues to blot the wet paint-brushes.
* I bought my glasses from Kmart, they came as a pack of 6 and were $6!

 I used Pepper Red, Sun Yellow and Turquoise Vitrea 160 paints for this example. You may use other colours as desired, however the three selected colours are the basic Primary colours which mix to make all other secondary colours like green, orange and purple.

 First begin by dipping your paintbrush into the paints and loading it rather heavily onto the glass in a small line. Make sure you wash in the cup of water and dry your brush on the tissues between each colour so you don't mix the paints in the pots.

 Then, using the spatula tip, drag the spatula across the lines starting at the red and smoothing past the blue to create a stroke of mixed colour.

 You will then notice on your spatula residue from the smudged paint. Do not wash this off!

Using the side of the spatula with paint, again swipe the spatula across the glass in a different direction. This will create a new colour stroke.

 Repeat the same process in different areas until you have run out of paint on the spatula. You may like to smudge the paint already on the glass to create new strokes.

 Repeat the first steps again by applying the three colours using the paintbrush onto the glass. You don't have to necessarily use lines or have any sort of order! All we want is the colours to be close enough to blend. For example, in the above shot, I used dots of paint as well as lines.

 Take the spatula again and smudge the paint to create the colour strokes on the glass. 
I painted my glass in an ascending fashion so the colour would start at the bottom of the glass and wrap around to the top.
When you are happy with your design, put it aside and allow to dry.
I would recommend leaving them to dry for 24 hours, so they can dry all the way through, because if you bake them while the paint is still partially wet, you will get giant paint bubbles! Trust me... XD

 You can now place it on a tray and bake it in a conventional oven on 160 degrees for 40 minutes. (Normal oven function is fine)
Then remove your glass from the tray and allow to cool.
The baking process deepens the colours and helps them set so your glass is now ready to use and is dishwasher and microwave safe!


____________________________
 
 
Now, here are the new versions I have made! 
Here are some group shots and below I'll explain which colours I used for each.
 

 #1
Pebeo Vitrea  
Pimento Red (Glossy)
Turquoise (Glossy)
Sun Yellow (Glossy)

This was very similar to the earlier ones I made!

  #2
Pebeo Vitrea 160 
Pepper Red (Glossy)
Lemon (Frosted)
Pink (Frosted)

A mix of frosted and glossy paints.


   #3
Pebeo Vitrea 160 
Oriental Green (Glossy)
Sun Yellow (Glossy)
Pimento Red (Glossy)
Turquoise (Glossy

   #4
Pebeo Vitrea 160 
Sun Yellow (Glossy)
Oriental Green (Glossy)
Pimento Red (Glosssy)


Be careful not to use too much paint on your glasses because you might find that it begins to collect and create drip marks. Generally you can just stroke the paint to flatten these.


    #5
Pebeo Vitrea 160 
Oriental Green (Glossy)
Sun Yellow (Glossy)
Pimento Red (Glossy)
Turquoise (Glossy
 
This one didn't turn out so well because I over blended the colours with the spatula. Try and keep the spatula blending as minimal as possible.
 
   #6
Pebeo Vitrea 160 
Pink (Frosted)
Azure (Frosted)
 
  #7
Pebeo Vitrea 160 
Azure (Frosted)
Pink (Frosted)
Lemon (Frosted)
Aniseed Green (Frosted)
 
This was probably my least favourite as I over blended the colours and got this dirty pink/purple colour, so I learned that trying to keep the number of colours to a minimum is more effective... in my opinion! You make prefer the look! 

  #8
Pebeo Vitrea 160 
Pimento Red (Glossy)
Sun Yellow (Glossy)

This created a real firey effect.
 
  #9
Pebeo Vitrea 160 
Oriental Green (Glossy)
Sun Yellow (Glossy)

I really liked the two colours, it created a simple, yet lovely effect!

   #10
Pebeo Vitrea 160 
Pimento Red (Glossy)
Sun Yellow (Glossy)
Turquoise (Glossy)
 
For this glass I started off with just the blue and red and then added yellow right at the end.
 
   #11
Pebeo Vitrea 160 
Oriental Green (Glossy)
Sun Yellow (Glossy)
Turquoise (Glossy)

This was mainly the blue and green with accents of yellow.
 
  #12
Pebeo Vitrea 160 
Oriental Green (Glossy)
Sun Yellow (Glossy)
Turquoise (Glossy)

This was mainly the green and yellow with a bit of blue. 



Which one was your favourite?

Thanks for reading!

~
Find us on Facebook:
Instagram: @mepxymarkers
_________________________
Please send us your work or anything that you create! Thanks for watching!
 
Natalie Wyatt


2 comments: