Thursday 26 February 2015

Gorgeous Stained Wine Glasses with Pebeo Vitrea 160

Look what can be done with a $1.00 wine glass and some Pebeo Glass Paints!


From this...



To this!

With Pebeo Vitrea 160 Glass Paints it's incredibly easy to transform a basic cheap wine glass into beautiful, stylish and individual piece. Make these for yourself or even as thoughtful handmade gifts for friends.

Here is what you will need:
  • Wine glasses of your choice, I bought a pack of 4 for $4.00 from a discount store!
  • Rubbing alcohol such as ISOCOL antiseptic (available from the medicine sections in supermarkets) and cotton wool or paper towel to remove any residue and dirt from glasses
  • I also used hand sanitiser gel to make sure my hands were clean and I didn't leave sticky fingerprints
  • Lint free cloth to remove any lint
 
  • Pebeo Vitrea 160 Thinner (also called Diluent)
  • Pebeo Vitrea 160 Glass paint in your choice of colour ( I used Turquoise and Oriental Green in the Glossy)
  • Pebeo Vitrea 160 Transparent Outliner (I used Pearl)
  • A Plastic bowl with a flat bottom to work over and catch drips
  • A soft paintbrush (I like Princeton Brushes)
Once you have cleaned your glass and hands, use the "Outliner" to create simple shapes on your glass and allow to dry for 10 to 15 minutes.

Dilute your Pebeo Vitrea 160 paint with the Thinner, a good ratio is about 3 parts pain to one part thinner.Working over a flat bottomed plastic bowl will save a lot of mess and also catch your  drips so you don't waste any product. Place your glass upside down and use a dabbing rather than brushing action to get a nice clear glass with no brush marks. All the paint to drip down the glass.

 My first idea was to paint in side the shapes, but I changed my mind mid project and decided to paint the whole glass and have the outliner pattern showing through a feature.

To move your glass without touching the paint, simply place your fingers in the inside of the glass to turn.

Here is another one using a similar process, but this time I experimented using a swirling motion with the brush, I did this several times as the paint was drying so my swirls didn't disappear. 

Once completed I let the glasses completely dry for about 24 hours. To make the colours dishwasher safe, bake in a kitchen oven at 160 degrees C (325 degrees F) for 40 minutes. Place your glasses in the oven when it is cold, and remove when cold. 

1 comment:

  1. I'd love to try the diluent/thinner. And I like the idea of the outliner to add interest . Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete